Forum › Forums › Miscellaneous › Broadcast, Internet, Media › BBC3 closure plans submitted to Trust
- This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 11 months ago by
Anonymous.
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm #16353
Anonymous
InactiveTo be replaced by BBC1+1
Quote:BBC3: plans submitted for channel’s closure in 2015
BBC management has finally submitted plans to the corporation’s governing body setting out formal proposals for axing a TV channel, BBC3, for the first time in the broadcaster’s history.
The plans, which were first announced in March and originally due to go before the BBC Trust in October, detail the rationale for making BBC3 online-only.
“The BBC Trust has now received the detail of proposals from the BBC executive to close BBC3 as a broadcast channel and re-invent it as an online-only proposition,” said the BBC Trust in a statement on Friday. “The [Trust Services Committee] have confirmed that these proposals represent a significant change to the UK public services.”
A public consultation on the proposals will begin in January, with the trust intending to publish “as much relevant information on the proposal as possible, including the application from the [BBC] executive”.
[..]
The BBC Trust will also conduct a public-value test, while media regulator Ofcom will conduct a market-impact assessment.
[..]
The plans, which will be discussed at the BBC Trust’s final meeting of the year on 17 December, also include proposals to use the bandwidth freed up by axing the BBC3 TV channel to launch a BBC+1 service and extend the hours for children’s channel CBBC. They also include proposals for enhancing BBC iPlayer.
[..]
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/05/bbc3-closure-trust
December 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm #57646Anonymous
InactiveFrom Recombu:
Quote:Citing figures that younger people increasingly tend to consume media on mobile devices, director of BBC Television Danny Cohen said that the move was the right thing to do – despite a public petition lauched by clicktivist site change.org racking up more than 265,000 signatures.A freeze on the TV Licence, enforced by the UK Government, has seen the BBC enact cost-saving measures. Cohen said earlier this year that the BBC had planned to move BBC Three online at some point in the future, but not for another three or four years. Cohen also hinted that BBC Four could face a similar fate.
http://recombu.com/digital/news/bbc-three-online-replaced-bbc-one-plus-1
December 10, 2014 at 11:10 am #57647Barry
ModeratorReport on BBC News website:
December 10, 2014 at 11:46 am #57648Anonymous
InactiveInteresting related link at the bottom of that BBC page:
Quote:The number of UK homes with a TV has fallen for the first time, as viewers turn to alternatives including tablets and smartphones to watch programmes.Ofcom said that after years of consecutive growth, the number of households with a television set fell from 26.33m at the end of 2012 to 26.02m at the end of last year.
The media regulator said that nearly one million homes have a broadband connection, but no TV, indicating that other internet-connected devices are being used to view content.
Ofcom said catch-up TV content in particular is growing in importance and being watched on smartphones, tablets, computers and games consoles.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/08/number-uk-homes-tv-falls-first-time-ofcom
And the Daily Mail’s take on the same subject:
Quote:iPlayer fuels rise of the TV-free home: Television ownership falls for first time EVERThe number of UK households with a television has fallen for the first time, with viewers switching to computers, tablets and smartphones to watch their favourite programmes.
The figures have been branded ‘bad news for the BBC’ by MPs who said the shift from traditional television viewing ‘undermines the case for the licence fee’ and strengthens the argument for funding the corporation through a subscription model….
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.